Knee Surgeons in Melbourne
Welcome to Victorian Bone & Joint Specialists. We’re home to an experienced team of knee surgeons who use imaging, rehabilitation, physiotherapy and the latest modern and minimally invasive surgical techniques to help patients with a range of conditions. Based in Melbourne, we promise to provide an exceptional level of treatment and care so you can get back to feeling your best.
Want to book an appointment with one of our knee surgery specialists? Get in touch today.
Our surgeons offer a range of specialist services to patients.
We provide treatment for:
- Knee arthritis
- ACL injuries
- Soft tissue knee and sports injuries
Common conditions that we treat
Knee arthritis is a common condition in Australia and is a cause of major disability. It can impact an individual’s personal and professional life, making enjoyable activities painful and difficult. This condition can appear when cartilage in the knee wears down, leading to pain and reduced movement. While it can be challenging to manage, there are many effective treatments on offer to people who suffer from knee arthritis.
- Pain and stiffness in the knee
- Soreness and a dull ache
- Knee swelling
- Constant ache in the joint that may wake you from sleep
A torn anterior cruciate ligament is an injury that can commonly occur from playing sports such as football, soccer, volleyball and basketball, which require sudden stops and changes in direction. Ligaments act as strong bands of tissue that attach one bone to another. For ACL surgery, the torn ligament is removed and replaced with a reconstructed ligament (tendon or other tissue) that connects the bones.
- Quickly changing direction
- Pivoting with your foot firmly planted
- Jumping and landing incorrectly
- Sudden stops
- Impacts to the knee
- Motor vehicle accidents and workplace accidents (worksafe and TAC)
ACL surgery is generally recommended if:
- You’re an athlete and want to continue in your sport, especially if the sport involves jumping, cutting or pivoting
- You have a torn meniscus that requires repair
- The injury is causing your knee to buckle during everyday activities
- More than one ligament is injured
Soft tissue knee & sports injuries
Soft tissue knee and sports issues can occur for a variety of reasons. Direct impact to the area, heavy loads and unnatural movements can all cause problems. Some common knee injuries include sprains, strains, bursitis, dislocations, fractures, meniscus tears, and overuse injuries.
The main symptoms of a sports knee injury are:
- Knee pain
- Difficulty bending the knee
- Problems bearing weight
- Clicking or popping sounds
- Locking of the knee
- Feeling of instability
- Difficulty with playing sports
For sports related knee injuries, a specialist may use a combination of techniques including an initial assessment, scans and x-rays, along with surgery if required.